the r-dot ratings algorithm
The r-dot algorithm was developed with one thing in mind: to put people in order. It's not perfect, but it has some nice attributes that we like, namely:
- ratings are from 0.0 to 1.0;
- your rating only changes if you play;
- if you win, your rating goes up;
- if you lose, your rating goes down;
- unknown players have a rating of 0.5; and, lastly,
- if player A plays player B, we expect player A to win (r(A)/(r(A) + r(B))) of the time.
Think you can do better? Check out the algo page and write your own!